Thursday, March 14, 2013

Quilt Barf

La dee da, just claiming my blog...
<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5353931/?claim=552s43zwvwz">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
I have no idea what I'm doing.

I do apologize for my absence. There are no excuses- I've just been lazy.

I've been working slowly on my STA quilt, and I started cutting the shirts for my uncle's t-shirt quilt. I headed to my mom's house in Nashville on Wednesday, and I was going to spend today working on my sewing. However, I soon realized that her machine's quarter inch seam allowance is WAY bigger than my machine's quarter inch seam allowance, and it completely threw off the four blocks I made on my STA. I'm trying to decide if I should just pull out the seams and try again, or let those blocks go...

Anyhoo, there was a monster sitting in my sewing bin. It's been growling at me since August, forged in the fires of Mount Doom and feeding off of abandonment. I was going to just piece together the back of my string quilt with all the leftover fabric strips, but realized that it was butt ugly. So, I stashed all the pieces I had made and hid them away until I had a stronger fortitude.

Well, today I decided to finally finish the menagerie that was that quilt. I present to you: Quilt Barf.


It's crazy. I'm wondering if I should use it as the back of my scrappy trip along quilt, or just make it it's own quilt. Either way, I'm going to practice my free motion quilting on it.

I'm liking up with Really Random Thursday, because that's exactly what this quilt is: really freaking random.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Quilt vomit. I like it. Good idea on using it for FMQ! I think it's less ugly than you probably think, though ;) I like the randomness of it!

    I totally feel your pain with the seam allowance thing... It's totally different just between my two machines and it's so frustrating! I hate sewing a bunch of things together only to find the seam allowance was way off... It would be a lot of seam ripping to fix, but might be worth it? I dunno. I think that's totally your call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly random. It's going to be fabulous!Here is a hint for your 1/4 inch measurement when you are going from one machine to another: Without thread in your machine, sew through an index card, 1/4 inch from the edge, using your machine. Keep the card in your sewing kit or purse or whatever. Then when you are sewing on another machine, just drop the needle into one of those holes in the index card, and put some tape down or something on the machine you are now using, and it will match the machine you are used to using. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a ton of sense! Than you SO much for that idea! That is so smart. I will definitely use that from now on!

      Delete