Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Sad Stash

So, a couple other young 20-somethings here in blog land and I are doing a crafty things swap. Allison and I are about to study abroad this year and Anna is facing the real adult world, so we thought that making gifts for each other would make life a little brighter for all of us :)

I'm making a mug rug for Anna, since she needs something GORGEOUS to place her coffee mug on at work, and a mini quilt for Allison. I've made the mug rug, but I'm having a little bit of trouble with the mini quilt. Mostly because I've been out of town the past two weeks and have had no time to start it, so I may have to change what I was planning. GAH.

Also, I'm having a hard time pulling fabric for it.

THIS is my stash.

I see everyone's posts on blog land about their sewing rooms and how they are reorganizing their stashes and "LOOK at all this fabric I have HAHAHA" and I'm just like
I wish I had your problem.

So, I'm a little limited by my lack of fabric and my lack of money to buy more fabric (music festivals and gas money from VA to Nashville to Chicago to VA are NOT CHEAP). So I'm trying super hard to work with what I've got.

Playing around with what I have.

But I DID finish my Salt Water Quilt top! I finished the triangles part before I left for Nashville, but felt that the quilt was just a tad small. So I hopped over to Hawthorne Threads and ordered me some coordinating solids and a half yard of the submarine print in seaweed and NOW I HAVE A FINISHED BEAUTIFUL QUILT.


Oh I'm so happy ;)


Now for the back.... ugh.
Linking up to WIP Wednesday!



4 comments:

  1. Wow those triangles look fab! I'm generally not drawn to borders but yours is perfect! Definitely a great way to finish the top and add some width and length :) can't wait to see how you quilt it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used that photo... Hahahahahaha. If it makes you feel better, my stash is really mostly made of scraps. I wanted more variety for my scrappy trip so I went a little overboard with Hawthorne threads super cheap scrap packs... Ahem. Although! I did just order 18 (18!) yards of fabric from Form and Fabric. Suuuuuper cheap stuff in the sale section! Like $4/yard cheap. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it all, (or where to put it!) but it's coming O.O

    I love your Salt Water quilt! It turned out just lovely with the borders :) I'm gonna get your present in the mail before the weekend!! I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, 18 yards!? O.O is right

    Wow! That quilt top is beautiful! The triangles were a PERFECT choice!! Now you've really got my eyes set on some Salt Water fabric the next time I find my resistance is low on Etsy. And though your stash is small for now, that's a sign of a resourceful quilter. I'll also see what I can do about sending over some pieces in the red, orange, and yellow category if you want too, or pretty much any color you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go through the same thing when it comes to my stash. I have two plastic storage bins, one with my rainbow of fabrics (all leftovers from previous quilts) and one from my western fabric kick and my 1930's fabric kick. Other than that, no stash. I often wonder what it would be like to have a big stash...of course, no stash means you always have an excuse to buy new things, right?!? Love your Salt Water finish. Great colors and pattern.

    ReplyDelete