I was thinking of quilting small daisies, to go along with the floral theme of the quilt. But once I sat down and tried free motion quilting for the first time, fear grew in my heart and everything I did looked awful. Then I saw Cluck Cluck Sew's quilting flowers post, and she made it look much simpler and less scary. So I practiced today on a piece of scrap fabric with a minky back, and it turned out fine.
Why minky, you ask? I'm using minky on the back of the cheery squares quilt. So I need to make sure that I can quilt with it, you know? My practice went fine, but I noticed that there was some fuzz peeking out from the stitching. I dismissed it, and prepared the quilt to be loaded onto the table.
Lookin' good, quilt!
AND THEN EVERYTHING WENT HORRIBLY WRONG.
I don't know why! But whenever I sewed, the backing fabric got pulled up to the front of the fabric. Hot pink fuzz all over the cream colored border. I changed the tension setting on my machine, I got a thinner needle, I tried using my walking foot instead of the free motion foot. BUT NOTHING HELPED.
SO MUCH FUZZ.
I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm at least going to ask the friend who this is going to whether she likes it or not. If she does, then I'll just have to be extra careful with my stitching (because now, every move I make is painfully obvious). If she doesn't, well, then I need some major help.
This didn't happen with the other minky quilts I've done. But then again, I wasn't trying to sew white cotton to hot pink minky. GAAHH