Saturday, December 7, 2013

Three Quilts for the Price of One!

Post #101! I'm hitting some crazy milstones- blog turning 1, 100 posts... My, how time flies.

I have been terrible about posting quilts I've finished! In the craziness of the summer, I was preparing for my trip abroad and trying to wrap up as many sewing projects as I could. In July, I finished my Scrappy Trip Along quilt, and right before I hopped on the plane to Iceland in August, I finished my beautiful Quilt Barf project.

 
Aren't they lovely? Haha!

During the summer of 2012, I had no job and a lot of time on my hands. I'd made two quilts already with my grandmother, and found sewtakeahike's String Quilt tutorial on StumbleUpon (yeah, it was that long ago!). I decided to start collecting fabrics for a string quilt, and this beauty was finished just in time for me to take it to my new apartment at college.

I don't think I named it...

When I was collecting fabric and such, I went ahead and cut everything into strips in varying widths and arranged it by color. After I had all the blocks done, though, I realized that I had a butt ton of scraps left over from this project. WAY too many. I decided I was just going to slap everything together and use it as the backing. But about halfway into that, I decided it looked ugly and I didn't feel like sewing anymore (I wanted to finish this before the move, after all). So, the slappy pieces got rolled up in a sheet and put away for a while.

I still had a ton of scraps, though. So once blog-land got hold of the scrappy trip along, I decided to hop on board! The pattern called for 2.5" strips, but I had more 1.5" strips, and decided to use what I already had. And so my teeny scrappy trip along was born!

It lives in Nashville with my mom

I STILL had scraps. And the slappy pieces. So, I put them all together and made Quilt Barf. I quilted it with straight lines every inch or so. It's a bright enough quilt, I didn't think it needed any fancy quilting.

 
The back is a neat flannel I got at a yard sale. 

So, one collection of fabric scraps, three quilts. And FINALLY I have used all of the fabric I cut for my string quilt.

1 comment:

  1. I love using up my scraps together, too. Looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete