Friday, October 26, 2012

Support

I've been busting my butt in studio all week for a presentation today at 1. We're finally designing our schools, and I've been working on my drawings all week. 

One thing I've noticed about architecture school is that no one wants you to fail. Everyone knows that this is a tough major to go through, and lots of people do drop out. But people will go out of their way to help you out and make sure you're doing okay. I was struggling with AutoCAD earlier, and I had at least three people offer to help me out. I spent ages stuck on a Structures problem, and my friend asked me if I wanted help from one of her other friends in the class.

We all know how hard it is. We've all seen that guy who's still working in studio at 6AM, and we've all been that guy. Most of us have pulled all nighters to get work done. All of us have cried over a model (maybe not the guys, but all of the girls have I can guarantee). All of us have put in the hours and created amazing things, and all of us have bullshitted our way through a presentation just to buy ourselves some more time to think.

It breaks my heart to see people leave the program. Everyone in this building feels like my family, and I hate when they leave. Especially when they leave because they can't handle the pressure. I have such a strong support network here, and when people doubt their choice in major, it makes me feel like I'm not doing my job to support my peers. 

But people do leave, and we keep going. We still stay in studio until the wee hours of the morning. We still churn out drawings. We still have ideas. We still create. And we always help carry our friends who are having a hard time.


Last night, I went to a baptism. My two friends, Flash's roommate Tuck and his (recent) ex-girlfriend Rach, joined a church on campus. I forget the name of it, but essentially they are disciples of Christ and live their lives completely for God. My faith has changed and evolved over the years, but it was incredible to see how many people came out to watch them fully commit themselves to God. There had to be at least 30 young people there to support my friends and baptise them. 

I didn't believe the same way as everyone else there, but I could feel the energy and love that they all were sending to Tuck and Rach. It was incredible, honestly. Those two will now have a support network for the rest of their lives, and, they believe, for eternity. 


We are all surrounded by love and support. People may forget it, but there is ALWAYS someone in your life who will drop everything and help you when you need it. Be it spiritual guidance, emotional support, or just bringing you candy at 4 in the morning when you have a presentation at 8. People want to help.

And on a lighter note, I still have no idea what Flash's nephew's quilt is going to look like. GAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment