Saturday, December 8, 2012

Taking a Break

My final pin-up is on Wednesday, and I've been busting my butt in studio for weeks trying to wrap everything up. It's tedious, because every day it seems I find something wrong with my drawings. One day, I find out that I need open web joists instead of steel beams. Another day, I need waterproofing between layers of my rain screen wall. Another day, I need to redo the floor. ANOTHER day, I realize my topography is wrong and I've got doors that open up underground. Great.

The most difficult thing about this project this semester is that we students just don't have a practical building background. We're JUST starting to learn about concrete and wood and windows and joints and how materials meet each other and how you actually BUILD a building. And my professors expect us to know all of this. So we're all kind of teaching ourselves on the fly, trying out different ideas and bounding them off of our professors to see if they're right. Sometimes they are, sometimes not. I have mixed feelings about it. I like that I'm taking my education in my own hands, but I don't like that I have no idea what I'm doing.

I was in studio until 4 last night working on my model. Silly me decided to represent open web joists to scale. I was going to cut them out on the laser cutter, but as luck would have it, it broke this week. Something about that expensive and useful piece of machinery catching on fire, I don't know. Anyway, instead of being a sane person and maybe not representing the joists, I decided to make them by hand. That's about 50 joists total. I'm insane.


Joists. Tons of them.


Anyway, my point is, it's been an overwhelming week. Flash came over last night and things just kept going wrong- my dryer wasn't working, all of the batteries in the apartment were dead, etc etc. I just broke down. But he comforted me, cheered me up, and I headed out to studio for a productive evening.

So, today, I went Christmas shopping and started work on making a fuzz for my friend Tabby. I'm very excited.

All squared up and ready to go!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you posted a picture. I had no idea what a joist was! But man, when it rains it pours, huh? But the end of the semester is in sight! Then you'll get to relax for a few weeks and make cute, crafty, fuzzy things :) I like your choice of fabric!

    ReplyDelete