Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Link

I've created a new page on the header for my studio's blog!

A little background: I am studying architecture at Virginia Tech, in one of the best undergraduate programs in the country. It's been a wonderful experience and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Each year of school (5 years total), all of the architecture students have a studio. It meets 3-5 times a week for 2-4 hours a day, depending on your year. Studio is where our professors talk to us, where we build models, where we do our work, where we present our work, and where we live. Basically.

This year, I am in Virginia Tech's design/build studio. Over the course of the year, we have been working with real world clients and designing for their needs (the Autistic School), and this spring we will design and build a pedestrian footbridge in Clifton Forge, VA.

Our professors (a married couple) believe that it is very important for the 18 of us in the studio to be independent and create our project ourselves. So, we were broken into 3 committees- Scheduling and Logistics, Communications and PR, and.... something else that I've forgotten. But I'm on the Communications team, and I and one other guy in my studio are in charge of the studio blog.

We are the fifth design/build studio that Virginia Tech has had. The first did a study on mobile homes, the second did an urban planning survey and study for the town of Clifton Forge, the third created a farmer's market pavillion for Covington, VA, and the fourth designed and built the Masonic Amphitheater in Clifton Forge, VA. Our group will be building the footbridge on the amphitheater site, as well as a concession stand/entry pavilion (if we can get the funds!)

So, that is what I do in real life when I'm not sewing. Go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment