Sunday, July 7, 2013

A visit to Grandma's House

I'm moving back to Richmond from Blacksburg this week, and I drove down to grandma's on Friday to store some of my furniture at her place for a while. I'm spending a year away from Blacksburg before finishing my degree (study abroad and such), but I'm planning on coming back, so I just needed a place to put my bedroom furniture for a year. Grandma kindly offered her spacious basement, so I loaded up a Uhaul trailer and headed down to her place! Boo and Flash joined as well, which was super fun.

I found out about a week ago that my uncle John was going to be there as well- the same uncle who commissioned me to make this. Since it's been sitting unquilted and unbound in my closet since April, I decided to pull it out, get my butt in gear, and finish it in time to give it to him on Friday!

(Joann's had a fantastic Fourth of July sale where I bought a 90" x 25 yard roll of batting for more than half off. I was going to just get a full sized batting, but I couldn't pass that deal up. It was the best impulse buy I've had in a while.)


I don't have a name for it, but that doesn't make me any less proud to have finished it. My uncle is a runner/biker/hiker/triathlete, and he had boatloads of race tshirts that he wanted to put to better use than sitting in his dresser. So I cut them all up and sewed them back together!



I used a full size bedsheet for the backing of the quilt- no piecing! And it was a nice plaid pattern too, so it gave me some great lines to quilt along to. 


John loved it, and I loved finishing it up finally! Now that I have batting, I think I'm going to finish up my other quilts too- like my Scrappy Trip Along and Quilt Barf.

I started cutting into my Salt Water Fat Quarter Bundle, too. I'm cutting them into triangles :) I'm really excited to make a triangle quilt, I've seen them around blogland (Cut to Pieces, anybody?) and I think that the Salt Water line is going to suit that pattern well. 

I'm also planning on making a pattern for a quilted camera case. I've seen a couple around blogland, but I may modify it to fit my camera better. Oh I'm excited to finally have time to sew again!! Maybe I can start on a Swoon, too!!

The happy customer :)




1 comment:

  1. Yay, it's finished!! It turned out so well!

    Triangle quilt sounds like an awesome idea... I have been loving the ones that have been popping up all over quilt land. My sister wants me to make her a new quilt for her new house. I wonder how she'd feel about triangles :)

    ReplyDelete